Wednesday, June 24, 2009

25 Best Music Videos: 10



10. Death Valley '69
Sonic Youth feat. Lydia Lunch

I know I talked about "Come To Daddy" being scary and all, but this video...THIS VIDEO is the most unnerving music video I have ever seen.

It's hard to tell what disturbs me the most about it. It could be the strange psychedelic imagery that I thought was only reserved for Butthole Surfers performances. It could be pin-up model Lung Leg acting like a fucking crazy person. It could be the music itself, with its freaky sound and Lydia Lunch's half-erotic, half-horrific banshee wail.

If I had to pin it on one thing, though, it would have to be the opening of the video, in which the remains of the band themselves are found in a house, presumably by some Manson-esque family who stopped by before the video started. The shots of each member's gory corpse (Lee Ranaldo's stomach is fucking slashed open, for god's sake. With guts and everything. Aaauuuuuuugh.) strewn about a filth-ridden house is just really creepy as shit.

My previous choice for number 10 was another Sonic Youth video, the one for "Kool Thing," a video featuring go-go dancers and Kim Gordon being hot as hell. I suppose this and "Kool Thing" are like polar opposites of the 60s as a decade. One a portrayal of sex and decadence, the other a twisted acid trip filled with gore and freakouts

No comments:

Post a Comment