Wednesday, October 7, 2009

TNSSSnSF: Maxwell's Silver Hammer

This is the first installment of my second project for this month, The Not So Scary Songs n Stuff Fanblog. Matching the Halloweeny feel of October and the TSSnSF, these songs are somewhat related to the dark nature of this month or involve monsters or something. I don't know, I haven't fully thought this out.

Anyways, I figured because I've already done 6 songs that are freaky, one slightly less creepy should be in order today (but I am doing another freaky one after this).



I'm not right in the head. Aside from a handful of George Harrison songs, my favorite Beatles songs are mostly weirder than their usual set. Songs like I Am The Walrus, Happiness Is A Warm Gun, and Helter Skelter rank high among the Beatles discography for me.

So this is a fairly upbeat song concering a man named Maxwell Edison, who is majoring in medicine (RHYMING). Maxwell asks a fellow student, Joan (studied pataphysical science), on a date to the pictures. While Joan's getting ready, there's a knock on her door. It's Max! And he's...carrying a...hammer.

Well, "bang bang," goes Maxwell's silver hammer as it smashes against her skull. He does it a second time for good measure. Later on, he kills his teacher and presumably other people until the cops catch him. Despite a testimony from Max and protests, the judge still finds him guilty, causing him to go on one last rampage.

Despite being credited to Lennon/McCartney, this was all Paul. Strongly believing that it had the goods to be a future single, the Maxwell session lasted over a course of three weeks. John derided it as a prime example of McCartney's "granny-style" writing, Ringo has called it "the worst song we ever had to record," and George, who at one point complimented it as "fun," dubbed it as "fruity."

And, well, all of that could be true. It's pretty dumb but that's what I like about it.



Also this was covered by Steve Martin in the film "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band," which might be tied with "Across The Universe" as the single worst Beatles-related film ever. Seriously, check this out.

No comments:

Post a Comment