Wednesday, May 27, 2009

25 Best Music Videos: 16


16. Tonight, Tonight
Smashing Pumpkins

If I made a comprehensive list of things I like (and not like "at the moment," but shit I'll never get tired of) two things would be "the early 20th century" and "Tom Kenny" Well, what are the odds that there is a video that combines these two things!

Directors Johnathan Dayton and Valerie Faris (directed almost all of Mr. Show's taped segments and would go on to direct "Little Miss Sunshine") made this beautiful music video that embraces the cinema of the 1890s/1900s, including a less-than-subtle tribute to Georges Melies's "A Trip To The Moon"

So the plot involves a couple (played by comedians/Mr. Show cast members/voice actors/real-life married couple Tom Kenny and Jill Talley) on a blimp ride's maiden voyage to the moon. They get too close to the moon and fall down, facing moonmen and meeting Poseidon.

You know what? I don't really have a good reason to love this music video, I just do. It looks beautiful and it brings forth my love of the 1900s. I'm not asking for much else.

1 comment: