Tuesday, July 21, 2009

100 Greatest Movie Characters: 85

"All I have in this world is my balls and my word. And I break them for no-one"

85. Tony Montana
Scarface


Much like "The Matrix," I never really got into "Scarface." It's not that I hate it, I just never found it all that interesting. The only thing I did find interesting was Al Pacino. This is because Al Pacino.

Tony Montana is a tragic hero, like the ones of old in Greece. He is Oedipus (minus the whole desire to bone his mom, although he does want his sister). Starting off with humble beginnings (born in Cuba), Tony emigrates to America and eventually lives the American Dream by building a cocaine empire and saying the word "Fuck" a lot. Like, "a lot" a lot. Like, "Jason Bourne beating people up" a lot. His dream is cut short when goons gun him down in his giant palatial mansion.

In full overacting mode (and in full shitty accent mode), Al Pacino rocks the role in only the outlandishly fucking ridiculous way he can.

Defining moment: Jesus, fuck. His death. I mean, what else is there?

No comments:

Post a Comment