Wednesday, July 15, 2009

25 Best Music Videos: 1

C'mon, how many of you didn't expect this to be it


1. Sledgehammer
Peter Gabriel


Directed by Aardman Studios (makers of Wallace and Gromit and "Chicken Run"), "Sledgehammer" is a slice of brilliance from the former Genesis frontman and brilliant madman who laid beneath a sheet of glass for 16 straight hours to get the most out of this video.

Featuring everything from pixilation, stop-motion animation, and claymation, this video was a technological marvel for its time and still proves to be awesome. It may also be the happiest music video I've ever seen. From images of life being created and blood being pumped to an over-ready chicken hatching from an egg and dancing (then splitting in two), it is a surreal celebration of anything one would like to imagine.

I think the beauty of the medium of music videos is that it has the opportuniy to push the boundaries of what music can make you feel. Watching the "Smells Like Nirvana" video gives me even more of a kick than the song does, because its a mixture of a funny song and a gag-filled, funny video. Watching the "Tonight, Tonight" video always blows me away with its old-timey simplicity in a way its sweeping song can't. "Sabotage" is a hilarious goof of a parody, "Closer" and "Death Valley 69" are beautifully and eerily uncomfortable.

"Sledgehammer" makes me smile. That's it. It doesn't make me think, it doesn't make me want to do something about the world or my life, it doesn't even make me laugh. It just makes me smile. And when it's done, sometimes I just press play and watch the whole thing over again.

No comments:

Post a Comment