Wednesday, September 9, 2009

100 Greatest Movie Characters: 30

"I'm off like a dirty shirt"

30. Philip "Duckie" Dale
Pretty In Pink


Forget what I say about any other character on this list. Forget who is higher, forget how much I praise the brilliance of the other characters. Forget all of it. Duckie is THE best character. I fucking love Duckie. I want to be Duckie. I want to dress like Duckie, act like Duckie, talk like Duckie. Duckie is the epitome of cool.

Jon Cryer's Duckie is the "sidekick" (I guess) and best friend to Molly Ringwald's Andie Walsh, a New Wave-loving outsider who develops a crush on rich preppie Blane (which isn't a name so much as a major appliance). Duckie, though, loves Andie and makes it frequently apparent even if he plays it off as a joke. He'd die for her, he'd do anything for her love.

Andie? You fucked up. Big time. Even if Duckie realized you were right, even if Duckie got his own Duckette, you fucked up. Why would you pass up a guy who's nuts for and is your best friend? Hell, maybe if Molly Ringwald was able to realize what a mistake it was to choose Blane all these years later, maybe you and him have finally gotten together. Maybe you've even had a few cool little Ducklings.

Defining moment: THIS FUCKING THING RIGHT HERE:



This is the scene that purely defines the coolness of the Duckman. Watch him give some sweet dance moves to one of the coolest songs of all time: "Try A Little Tenderness" by Otis Redding. Any girl who loves Duckie usually fell in love at this moment.

You may remember me talking a while ago about how there are only two dances I want to learn. One was Spike Jonze's dance in the video for Fatboy Slim's "Praise You" and the other was this. I'm glad I can finally show those of you what I mean and why I mean it. Maybe I should act more like Duckie. I might land me my own cool Duckette.

No comments:

Post a Comment